Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Movie Review: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02411/HOBBIT_2411622b.jpg
The first thing that should be said about The Hobbit is that it is NOT The Lord of the Rings. The former is a children's story, the latter is an epic. So, don't expect to get the same experience from each. That being said, even I couldn't help but hope that The Hobbit might replicate the magic emitted from Peter Jackson's previous series of work. Regrettably, it does not. I think a large reason why might have to do with the fact that The Hobbit was published as a single book while The Lord of the Rings was several. So my question is, "Why take three separate films to tell the story found in one book?" I could be wrong, but I would speculate that the motivation had more to do with maximizing revenue than artistic considerations. I think one can see this while watching the movie for multiple reasons, not the least of which is that it feels grindingly slow. They had to find some way to fill up all that extra time, didn't they? Also, it has been several years since I have read the book, but there are many things in the film that I don't remember at all. After a bit of research, I learned the reason why: the writers had to add so much crap that wasn't in the book in order to justify the outrageous length of this film. There is a whole fabricated subplot of the company of hobbit, wizard and dwarfs being pursued by a large number of orcs seeking revenge, which I suppose is to resemble the tension brought about by the Black Riders chasing Frodo in The Fellowship of the Ring. It does indeed add tension, as without it the film would feel quite empty. But, again, this has to do with unnecessarily telling the story in three long films, not with any failure on Tolkien's part. But with that added tension comes the cost of being reminded that this film doesn't have faithful adaption of the novel as its highest goal, but rather to make boatloads of money. In addition, I did not find it enjoyable to watch. When I wasn't feeling bored because of the slow pace of the film, I was feeling overwhelmed by scenes that seemed to be contesting the Star Wars prequels in terms of who could fit the most crap in a single shot. It was like watching a video game. By the end I was too exhausted to appreciate the narrowness by which the protagonists escape destruction (since it becomes too many to be plausible) and any sentimental feelings between Bilbo and his dwarf companions. Ultimately, what I hope is that once the second two films are completed that it will be possible to edit them in such a way that we can have a one volume film that is faithful to the novel and pleasant to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're on the mike, what's your beef?